The Salt Lake Tribune
November 14, 2011
On June 28 and 29, almost 200 key stakeholders in the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) education community came together to learn about current research and apply it to the district's efforts to revamp teacher evaluation and support as part of a major restructuring of personnel practices, based on the recommendations of the LAUSD Teacher Effectiveness Task Force.
For more information, please contact:
Meg Livingston Asensio
Setting the Stage for Supporting Effective Teaching: Learning from Research and Practice
June 28, 2010 - June 29, 2010
Miguel Contreras Learning Complex
322 Lucas Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90017
NEW! REL West and the Los Angeles Unified School District invite you to download podcast presentations from this event. Select "Teacher Effectiveness Task Force."
Setting the Stage for Supporting Effective Teaching: Learning from Research and Practice was designed to engage the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) education community in developing an effective teacher support and evaluation system that is informed by research and practice from both inside and outside the district. REL West partnered with PACE, the Los Angeles Research Consortium, and LAUSD to host this event. Key objectives included:
- Increasing awareness and understanding of teacher effectiveness issues and how they fit into LAUSD's goals for strengthening teaching and learning.
- Developing a deeper understanding of research on measuring teacher effectiveness and practices used in other places in the country.
- Providing input into LAUSD's plans to pilot test different measures of teacher effectiveness.
- Strengthening participant understanding of why and how research is important in making decisions of education policy and practice, and of the strategies recommended in A Practical Guide to Evaluating Teacher Effectiveness.
Ramon C. Cortines, Superintendent, and Judy Elliott, Chief Academic Officer, of LAUSD welcomed participants and stressed the importance of the event and the district's commitment to an effective system of teacher support and evaluation.
Laura Goe, Research Scientist, Educational Testing Service, provided the keynote address, focusing her remarks on A Practical Guide to Evaluating Teacher Effectiveness, published by the National Comprehensive Center for Teacher Quality in April 2009, which is based on Approaches to Evaluating Teacher Effectiveness: A Research Synthesis (Goe, Bell, & Little, 2008). Participants had an opportunity to experience the challenges of effective teacher observation and examine their own assumptions about teaching practices through a classroom observation simulation activity.
David Plank, Executive Director, PACE, moderated a panel representing Cincinnati Public Schools, Chicago Public Schools, and Montgomery County (MD) Public Schools. Panelists discussed how they developed and implemented new teacher evaluation systems, and shared lessons they are learning in relation to the research presented.
Melissa Eiler White, REL West at WestEd, moderated a panel focused on perspectives on teacher effectiveness in LAUSD; and participants had an opportunity to learn more about the Teacher Effectiveness Task Force (http://etf.lausd.net/), as well as the ongoing work of the Los Angeles Research Consortium. [The final report of the Teacher Effectiveness Task Force and the district's draft strategic plan may be downloaded below.]
Throughout the event, participants had opportunties to interact with experts, discuss implications of key research and practice findings, and make recommendations to the task force.
- LAUSD teachers, school leaders, and district leaders;
- LAUSD parents and students;
- Los Angeles Board of Education members and staff;
- United Teachers of Los Angeles (UTLA);
- Associated Administrators of Los Angeles (AALA); and
- representatives of institutions of higher education (including UCLA and USC) and community-based organizations.
- Teacher Quality Center: A Practical Guide to Evaluating Teacher Effectiveness
- Strunk & Phillips: PowerPoint Slides
- Speaker Biographies
- Sartain: PowerPoint Slides
- Participant Agenda
- Participant Activity Handout
- Montgomery County Public Schools: Handbook Excerpts
- Montgomery County Education Association: Guide to New Evaluation System
- LAUSD: Teacher Effectiveness Task Force Final Report
- LAUSD: Strategic Plan (draft)
- LAUSD: PowerPoint Slides
- LAUSD: District Programs Overview Matrix
- Goe: PowerPoint Slides
- Consortium on Chicago School Research: Study Summary
- Cincinnati Public Schools: Rubric
- Cincinnati Public Schools: PowerPoint Slides